Friday, August 20, 2010

Why do I cry when I cut an onion and when my spouse does it he is not effected?

Does he wear contacts? When I wear glasses, onions bother my eyes, but contacts seem to protect my eyes, and I don't feel anything.Why do I cry when I cut an onion and when my spouse does it he is not effected?
When you slice through an onion, you break open a number of onion cells. Some of these cells have enzymes inside of them, and when they are sliced open, the enzymes escape. The enzymes then decompose some of the other substances that have escaped from sliced cells. Some of these substances, amino acid sulfoxides, form sulfenic acids, which then quickly rearrange themselves into a volatile gas.





The gas reaches your eyes and reacts with the water that keeps them moist. This changes the chemical's form again, producing, among other things, a mild sulfuric acid, which irritates the eyes.





Your husband might be less susceptible to these enzymes than you OR he may be doing on of the following things.








Peeling the onion and then chilling it in the refrigerator before you slice it will minimize the release of gas somewhat, because the change in temperature alters the compounds in the onion. Cooking an onion before you slice it will work also, for the same reason. Another easy solution is to cut the onion under water or run the tap over it as you slice.





Some people say if you hold a lemon, piece of bread or a sugar cube in your mouth, the food will absorb the gas before it reaches your eyes. Breathing with your mouth, instead of your nose, might also help because as you inhale, you suck the gas in and as you exhale, you blow it away. This keeps a lot of the gas from ever reaching your eyes.Why do I cry when I cut an onion and when my spouse does it he is not effected?
Some people are bothered, others just aren't. Try rinsing it in COLD water before you cut into it.
Actually I saw on the food network that the way you cut it has something to do with it.
I think some people just get closer to the onion when cutting.
Haven't you heard? Men don't cry!

No comments:

Post a Comment