Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Can spouse join AF Reserves or Air Guard?

I am active duty (applying for Palace Chase soon) Air Force and my wife would like to join the AF. Obviously, she is barred from joining active duty, but is she barred from joining the AF Reserves or Air Guard?Can spouse join AF Reserves or Air Guard?
YES! She can join the Air National Guard or the Air Force Reserve. I, myself, am currently getting ready to join Air Guard here in CO where my husband is stationed.


I spoke with a recruiter here and let him know that my husband is AD USAF, we have a 1 yr. old son and we are enrolled in EFMP (for our son); he told me that I cannot join AD unless I have a waiver but getting a waiver is highly unlikely. He did tell me that I can join another branch of service as AD, but I don't think that's a good idea at all, so I decided to go Air Guard!


Good luck to y'all! Hope I helped in some way. :-)Can spouse join AF Reserves or Air Guard?
You recruiter is correct. She might be able to join the reserves but this could be a problem. They would be more apt to take her once YOU are in the reserves since the odds are both of you would not get deployed.... unless you are at the same unit.





But there is a bigger problem. As you probably know Palace Guard is an excellent way to go. But.....





Applyng could take a great deal of time. It could take long enough for you to be scheduled to PCS. Then you would be denied. Even if you scored well on your performance reports they might deny you anyway because of manning requirements. A local unit itself may have no immediate need for you particular job.





So basically she could end up locked down at a local unit and then you could still be active.





It is probably a good idea for her to wait and see what happens to you first.
She's not barred from joining, unless you have children. And in that case, you'd still need the Family Care Plan to cover for when she deploys.
my husband said in the army a spouse can join but the one with the longest military time is where you are stationed. so she can prob join???

No comments:

Post a Comment