Thursday, July 29, 2010

Attention Military Spouses; Do you feel that employers show no sense of support if spouse is deployed?

For example, my husband is deployed in the middle east and I can not find a job anywhere because every employer asks for flexibilty. As a mother of three young children I just can't up and leave or work weekends. Everyone surely appreciates our spouses putting their lives on the line but nobody ever cuts military members and their families a slack!! Input is appreciated :)Attention Military Spouses; Do you feel that employers show no sense of support if spouse is deployed?
The way some employers and states treat our service men and women is deplorable. Make me sick. These men and women are fighting not only for us citizens, but for the company and its ability to be profitable. In some states, companies are required to pay the wage difference and are not permitted to terminate or replaces the soldiers job. Those that do should be picketed, and all other measures taken to show what they are. I support you, so should the company, city, county, and this country. While our troops are serving, many loose their wives, husbands, are subject to divorce, loose their jobs, and homes, and are left with nothing when they return. For those of you that say';oh well';, you know where you can go! Email me at fwf43@yahoo.com, I might have place that can help.Attention Military Spouses; Do you feel that employers show no sense of support if spouse is deployed?
unless you find a company the the owners or bosses are Ex Military do not expect any sympathy, I never get any.


Some employers are ok with it but good luck finding one
I do know that there is an office on the bases that assist the spouses in resume building and also has a list of all job openings on base in almost any kind of job. If you are not in your home of record as a spouse or dependent you get first dibs if you apply for a job. Maybe you could try that. They should of all people be understanding. I don't know why if as an employee they would love for you to bend over backwards yet can budge for you. I don't think that we should get special treatment just understanding as a human, we do deal with more things they can't seem to fathem. I do think that it is horribly wrong for them to not even hire us just for the fact that we r military wives, they should be embarrass'd. And the other guy to say enlisted makes enough we shouldn't have to work, well with kids and depending on how many bills you have um, yeah ok...........NOT ! Some of us can stay home but thats because we have only one car, eat out maybe once a week, don't by fast easy microwaveable food, don't go take kids places like the zoo only to parks (free) and the beach or library, can only fill up gas tank once a pay, have phone cable and internet , no extras, can't afford to buy kids school clothes all at once, can't afford daycare so I can get a job, but yeah we make so much. We live check to check like almost every other person here, but we sacrifice WAY more. Ok I vented thanks.
how do they know that you are a military wife before they hire you? you dont have to tell them and it is illegal for them to even ask if you are married (at least in my state it is, but i think this might be universal). they also can't ask if you have kids- mucho illegal!


also depending on what state you live in there might be a family military leave act which guarantees you time off when your soldier comes home.
Stay away from working for Target. When one of my friends ship pulled back into port they told his wife to choose to work or look for a new job. They didn't care if he just came back.
Well, I can't offer you advice, but I understand how you feel. I work for the military, D.O.D. employee at the Army Hospital, and my husband is deploying here shortly, and they are basically, cold shoulder, What are you gonna do. They are not offering set hours or even to transfer to another part of the hospital to get the hours I need.





I understand that where I work it is 12 hour shifts and every other weekend, I was ok with the hours when i started, but now I just can't do them when he leaves.





I am also a mother of two, and working for the military, you would think that they would give a spouse some flexability.... but they don't.





I don't know what type of job you do, but maybe you should consider some of the work at home jobs they offer for military spouses. That will be my last resort. I had to go to the union here to see if they can step in and get me transferred. But I wish you luck, and hope your family will soon be back together safely.
i believe that is bull my wife has called plenty of employers for wehn i am deployed and has been accepted for them and has the job secured 5-6 months out
I think its about the same as being a single mother. Before i met my military husband, I was was a single mother with 3 kids. I was never cut any breaks ect. I suppose its just the way it is.


Atleast you have the income from your husband coming in, think about if you were single reciving No support.


The situation sucks, but belive me it could be alot worse.
as a former member of the armed forces i was enlisted and i made enough that my ex didnt have to work if you are working for fun why complain if your husband is in military then why need to work?
Thank you! When I go in for an interview everything is fine up until I mention that I'm a Marines Wife. They either stop it right there and say, well...we'll let you know. Or they bs for about five more minutes and then say toodles. I don't get it. I've only been able to get one decent job, but I had to quit because my boss wouldn't give me time off to go see my family that lives in another state....which my husband and I were seeing before he was deployed. It is so ridiculous!
Unfortunately, military wives receive no special treatment for the job their spouses perform, nor should they. It can be very difficult to find a job that allows us to perform to our best both at work and at home. Personally, I don't think an employer should change their requirements for hiring simply because you are a military dependant...it would be unfair to another equally qualified person applying for the same position, as well as unfair to the employer who needs certain things from those he or she hires.

No comments:

Post a Comment